Low Amylose/Mold Diet
Use this guide to shift your diet away from high sugar and starchy foods to more fresh, whole foods. As best as you can please stick with organic, local, non-chemically sprayed foods that are not genetically modified. This diet is based on the 00-2-3 rule. You should eat zero sugars, zero amylose and two servings of protein totaling at least 6-8 ounces daily and at least 3 servings daily of vegetables that grow above the ground including fruit (except bananas).
Foods that should be avoided:
- Avoid sugar and sugar-containing foods: Table sugar and all other simple, fast releasing sugars such as fructose, lactose, maltose, glucose, mannitol and sorbitol. This includes honey and natural syrup type products such as maple syrup and molasses. This also includes all candies, sweets, cakes, cookies, and baked goods. Whole leaf stevia concentrate may be used in moderation
High sugar fruits to avoid:
- Wheat and related grains
- Gluten-free grains: brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat, millet, teff, oats
Packaged and processed foods:
- Avoid canned, bottled, boxed and processed foods as they are much more likely to contain added sugar and
chemicals. This includes canned, baked beans, soups, commercial sauces.
- Bottled — Soft drinks, fruit juices, all condiments, and sauces.
- Boxed/Packaged — Ready-made meals, breakfast cereals, chocolate/candy, ice cream, frozen foods.
Mold and yeast containing foods:
- Cheeses: all cheese, especially moldy cheeses like blue cheese are the worst, buttermilk, sour cream
- Alcoholic drinks: beer, wine, cider, whiskey, brandy, gin, and rum.
- Condiments: vinegar and foods containing vinegar, mayonnaise, pickles, soy sauce, mustard, relishes.
- Edible fungi: including all types of mushrooms and truffles.
- Processed and smoked meats: sausages, hot dogs, corned beef, pastrami, smoked fish, ham, and bacon.
- Fruit juices: All packaged fruit juices may potentially contain molds.
- Dried fruits: raisins, apricots, prunes, figs, dates, etc.
Foods ok to be eaten in small amounts
- High starch vegetables and legumes: sweet corn, lentils, beans, sweet potatoes, squashes, turnips, parsnips. As best as you can be sure to get sprouted legumes as they contain less lectins and mold.
- All low glycemic fruits (except bananas): berries, apples, citrus, pears, and peaches
Foods to be eaten freely
- Organic pastured animal products: beef, bison, veal, lamb buffalo, wild-caught seafood, poultry, pastured eggs
- Low carbohydrate vegetables: broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, kale, cabbage, arugula, chard, cucumber, peppers, tomato (fresh only), onion, leek, asparagus, garlic, artichokes (NOTE: for those with pain, myalgia and aching, nightshades should be avoided)
- Raw nuts and seeds: sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, almonds, low mold nuts (avoid pistachios, peanuts, walnuts, pecans, cashews, brazil nuts)
- Healthy Fats: Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, coconut milk, ghee, avocado, organic butter
- Other: Tamari GF Soy Sauce, Tempeh, Miso, Apple Cider Vinegar
- Beverages: Filtered Water, non-fruity herbal teas, mineral water, fresh veggie juice, organic mold-free coffee